Saturday, August 22, 2009

Maxtor One Touch III Mini - Solution to EasyManage Crash on Windows XP

This is one of my older posts from the Maxtor forums which I thought was worthy of posting here...

I have had the problem with the error message: "Maxtor EasyManage has encountered a problem and needs to close. Please inform Microsoft about this." with the Maxtor Easy Touch III, and tried the compatibility solution (setting EasyManage to run in W2000 compatibility mode). This worked, but, curiously, only for a while. I recently plugged my harddrive in to backup my work data, and started to get the error message again. I verified that the compatibility check box was checked, & windows 2000 selected...still had the problem.

I decided to try the other options, and selected the "Turn off advanced text services for this program", selected Apply, OK, and the error went away. Not sure what that check box is for, but I wonder if it depends upon a service that was not running and so threw the error?

Anyway, in my case I needed the "Compatibility mode" check box and the "Turn off advanced text services for this program" check box selected to make this error go away.

Windows XP SP2
Administrator account

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=onetouch&message.id=5138#M5138

No comments: